Monday, January 28, 2013

Ahhhh-ha. / Journal Post 2

Ever since I started researching this topic a month or so ago, I have been waiting for an aha moment. But instead, my journey has been one big fat "ahhhhhhh-ha!" -  an aggravated yelp followed by an ironic chuckle.

Bafflement is by no means a foreign state for me. But the Israeli/Palestinian conflict engenders a bewilderment of another order.


Source

Somewhere amongst those scattered puzzle pieces lies an image of serenity, of completeness. Amongst the tumult of Israel/Palestine exists in some combination of acts, phrases, handshakes, smiles, head nods, and gum swaps a puzzled peace. Just as the conflict twists our frowns into swirls of perplexity, its peace will bring quivering smiles and shy dimples. Even the image of a complete puzzle preserves the memory of a once-split world.



Babbling nonsense aside, I don't know what the solution to this problem is. I can't pretend to know what it is. But I have no doubt that one day a good set of circumstances led by some great people will present itself and we'll grab hold. I'm sure it'll look something like this. Then, after a considerably nice period of time, I have no doubt, an unfortunate set of circumstances led by some not-so-great people will present itself and we'll let go. It'll look like this. Then one day another good set of circumstances led by another group of great people will present itself and we'll grab hold again. 'Tis life.

Here are some nice words from Steve Earle in his song "Jerusalem."

"That I believe that one fine day all the children of Abraham
Will lay down their swords forever in Jerusalem

Well maybe I'm only dreamin' and maybe I'm just a fool
But I don't remember learnin' how to hate in Sunday school
But somewhere along the way I strayed and I never looked back again
But I still find some comfort now and then"

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jacob,

    I'm not sure whether I like or dislike your sarcastic tone, but I must say it has grabbed my attention. However, I don't agree that it will be so simple. If it were as simple as you say it is, it would have been done by now. I think it's going to take more than a dynamic group of individuals to put an end to this conflict. Only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete