Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My Diffiulty

I kind of dropped the ball ...


... on responding to other people's posts. It's not that I didn't read my classmates' blogs, because I did. I guess part of me felt kind of silly because I would rather have told them in class what I thought of their posts - but I didn't even do that. I will probably make up for this by posting on them in the future when I reminisce.

This is a unique course. I've never been in one like it (and may not ever be again). It challenges your ideas about learning. It's making connections with people involved in a specific topic that allows you to cross this ever-thickening wall of misguided information and contradictory stories - two things that Jerusalem knows all about. I think realizing that this is what it takes to even begin to slightly understand something (that you aren't directly a part of) is scary and difficult. But it has taught me that people want to talk to you about their struggles, strife, and victories. I think this has encouraged me to reach out to people far away more often. And for that, I thank Living Jerusalem!

2 comments:

  1. Jacob,

    Posting to others' blogs was also very difficult for me. Often times I enjoyed reading classmates' blogs, but didn't know how to respond. I didn't want to offend anyone or say something "wrong."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your description of the "wall of misguided information and contradictory stories," and I completely agree with you. I think the hardest part for me has been realizing that there are so many contradictory stories and valid grievances on both sides, meaning there is neither a "right answer" to the conflict nor a party who is entirely in the wrong.

    ReplyDelete