Monday, February 4, 2013

A fascinating subject.

Recently I have been familiarizing myself with the origins of Islam. I realized that I knew next to nothing nothing about the second largest religion in the world (and still have much to learn). Little did I know that I would be so drawn to this religion and the history it has made. Never-mind its impressively rapid spread and its intellectual/scientific contributions to the world. Islam, regardless of how it has been morphed through the ages in the midst of political pollution and clout, was founded on principles of respect, equality, and charity. Islam's beauty and clarity, its devotion and responsibility are most clear in its beginnings. Muhammad and his followers sought an Arab world free of materialism and free of class inequality from tribal structure. A wonderful (albeit, inevitably subjective) introduction to the origins of Islam is portrayed in the Saudi drama series Omar . All 30 episodes of the series are on YouTube and have English subtitles. It is, of course, only one interpretation of the events and has its share of points of contention. Nonetheless, it isn't a terrible way familiarize oneself with the culture and society of seventh/eighth century Arabia and the need for a new way of life.
  
Perhaps one reason why I had never been exposed to Islam before was because (to my knowledge) I have not had a Muslim friend until about a month ago. This has not been deliberate, but I am glad that it has changed. I have always enjoyed having a diverse set of friends from all backgrounds. I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I never once considered a Muslim as being a part of that mosaic. It just didn't cross my mind. It wasn't an intentional absence by any means. I had just never thought about the religion, nor the people belonging to it. Well, that has changed. My first Muslim friend, Faisal, has been a Godsend. He serendipitously entered my life immediately after I took interest in Islam and has provided for me a wealth of knowledge and insight on many topics - Islam, the Muslim world, the Middle East, and much more. After reading most of the reading for this response, I met with him and we discussed some things I had highlighted. 

Faisal and I discussed extensively the life of Umar, Muhammad's second Rashidun ("rightly guided caliph"). We both find his modest ways of living and his respect for all peoples an exemplary model for anyone. Both in Armstrong's book and in the television series I linked above Umar (or Omar) is represented as an intelligent, mindful man. Interestingly, according to the television series, Umar was one of the last of Muhammad's original entourage and had before been a proponent of the Quraysh tribe's opposition to Muhammad. I especially enjoyed Armstrong's description of Umar's first time in Jerusalem - and the tour he received by the patriarch. Armstrong says, "Some of the Christian observers felt that the caliph was being hypocritical: they were probably uncomfortable aware that the Muslim caliph embodies the Christian ideal of holy poverty more faithfully than their own officials." Faisal was telling me how he grew up hearing stories about Umar. One such story relates that Umar would walk amongst his people as an ordinary citizen, helping those in need without feeling the need to reveal himself. For most Sunni Muslims, this is the kind of man he was. Others, of course, including some Shi'ite Muslims, do not look upon him positively. Wikipedia gives a nice comparison of the Shi'a view of Umar and the Sunni view.

Islamic origins in Jerusalem are no less interesting than those of Judaism and Christianity. The history of the Al-Quds Mosque really brings to light the effects brought about by Earthquakes in the region. The mosque had to be replaced numerous times as a result of damage from earthquakes. The same goes for many of the other holy sites in the city. I wonder if there has ever been a comprehensive study done on this - the natural disasters of Jerusalem and their effects on the city and its inhabitants. I bet that would be pretty neat.

Armstrong briefly mentions an early Jewish convert to Islam, Ka'ab ibn Ahbar. This struck a bell in me because I have always been fascinated with religious conversion. A number of people in my family are converts to Judaism - including my grandmother. She married my father's father. My grandfather was an Orthodox Jew from Romania. He moved to the states with his mother at the age of 4. My grandmother grew up on a farm in southern Georgia. They came from completely different worlds, yet my grandmother adopted the religion as her own. Even twenty years after my grandfather's death, she adheres to the many rules of orthodox Judaism - and more so than three-quarters of our family. Two other women on my father's side have converted - both of which were Catholic before. I have not formally discussed this with any of them yet, but I hope to do so very soon. I'd like to know what kind of adversity, be it internally of externally, they faced in making such a courageous and monumental life change. A few weeks ago I decided to do a little research on conversion to Islam. I found a wealth of information and testimonies. It is so interesting to read/see what people say about their experiences converting to Islam. Here is a wonderful piece on Yusuf Islam (formerly known as Cat Stevens) as he discusses his experience and transformation. Here is "Testimonies of Jewish Converts," a compilation of people from varying backgrounds discussing their experiences. And here is a wonderful collection of Malcolm X's experiences with the Islamic faith and his ideological reform. 




2 comments:

  1. I mentioned in my post as well that I did not know much about the Islamic faith. I actually had these horrible preconceived notions that it was not a religion based on good morals and values, when in reality they are pretty much the same as Judaism and Christianity. Also, throughout history Muslims seemed to have treated other religions with more respect than it received (especially early on in its creation). I hope to learn more about the religion in class in order to be better informed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found myself much more interested in Armstrong after the introduction of Islam. I wrote in my blog how surprised I was my Islam's impact upon this region in such a short amount of time. It seems that they surpassed both Christianity and Judaism in how quickly Islam took hold as a major religion. I was also really surprised how peaceful (comparatively) the spread of Islam was. Islam's takeover did no incur mass bloodshed, and instead seemed like a rather peaceful process. I found myself becoming really interested with Islam's main tenets and Muhammad's teachings. I would really like to learn more about this religion because reading Armstrong's book made me realize how little I actually know.

    ReplyDelete